Wednesday 4 July 2012

A Bird of a different feather.



Tom Craw sent me through the finished pictures of his Peter Galbert designed Bird Cage Arm Chair. Tom was one of a handful of guys including myself that were lucky enough to take a five day private class with Pete when he was out here around the start of the year. It was a whirlwind 5 days. Note the one piece Elm seat.



In fact that Elm in the seat draws my eye every time I look at the chair. Which brings me back to the question, to paint or not to paint? I don't regret for a minute painting my birdcage, but obviously to the untrained eye it is not immediately apparent just how 'special' the wood choice is for my seat. But, does that mean that instead of looking at the chair as a whole or seeing its form, my focus is lost in staring at the grain? Tough one and I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.


One thing is for sure, they are both beautiful chairs. Great work Tom.

2 comments:

  1. Great looking chairs Glen. Good stuff.
    I think I need to make one of those... Running any classes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When ever your ready Wayne. The cottage will be ready from early Spring, so when you can down tools for a week, come on down and we'll make a couple mate!

    Cheers
    Glen

    ReplyDelete